May 18, 2008

Ahhh...The Smell of Fresh Cut Grass

Don't ya just love it? This time every year, when the windows are open and lawn mowers are fired up, I make a big pitcher of iced tea and hang out. I love listening to the neighbors starting up the mower early in the morning, you can hear yards being manicured down the street and around the corner! And, the smell (between sneezing fits) is very fresh and...well, earthy.

It throws me back to childhood when my dad would mow and we could not WAIT to roll around in the coldness of that St. Augustine grass. The neighborhood kids got together and we would play "smear the queer", which is basically tackling each other and rolling around in the grass. Then, we would lay on grass, completely wiped out. By the end of the evening, we were itchy, had grass stains and red stratches from be pulled and pushed and smashed and smeared into the grass. That's another smell I get from my kids now....sweaty, grassy dirt smell from playing outside in the yard...kinda like wet dog gone bad.

Now, Danny fired up the mower and I'm sitting on our chocolate-colored Italian leather sofa just a listenin', and a sniffin', and a sneezin', and a bloggin'. The beginning of summer...I just love it!

3 comments:

  1. i love that smell, too! ;)

    And I love seeing all your scrapbook pages, fun! a hobby of mine, as well. Jewelry, too! ;)

    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song. beautiful images you give.

    I long for that moment of peace, while enjoying the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like driving down the street and seeing the mowed lawns, but hearing all the mowers makes me antsy and pressured to get to my own. It's a mixed bag, I guess.

    ReplyDelete