October 24, 2010

Never Fails

Every year about this time, I get sick. This season is no different! I love the Fall season, but with it comes respiratory problems for me. Asthma is something I've dealt with since I was a small child and adulthood has been no different. I've been able to manage my asthma quite well for the past few years. Working in the school setting and also with geriatric populations in skilled nursing settings has presented constant challenges.

This year I have an additional challenge...Psoriasis. I've also battled psoriasis my entire life. With every ear infection or strep throat infection came an outbreak. Most the time the psoriasis has been managable. This year has been the worst! I had a case of strep in September that was so bad, I went to the ER. That caused a psoriasis outbreak over 80% of my body. The doctor put me on the Enbrel injections twice a week for the next 3 months. Side effects of this drug are a suppressed autoimmune system and respiratory distress, not to mention liver damage, cancer, or death.

I'm 4 weeks into the Enbrel injections and I get an upper respiratory tract infection. Dangerous for my medical history. I have to stop the Enbrel and take Prednisone, also with it's side effects. So do I want spotty skin or the ability to breathe? I want to breathe! I hate having to struggle for a deep breathe. I hate being short of breath when I walk up the stairs or unload the dishwasher or get dressed in the mornings. It's miserable and scary!

Everyone...take a deep breath from me!

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand! My allergies are the worst in Spring and Fall. They seem to be getting worse with age. And last year allergy season was accompanied by eczema which hadn't visited me since childhood. For me its itchy red splotches and intense sinus pain and pressure. You don't supposed we were made with defective parts, do you? LOL! Hope you feel better! -Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...sometimes I feel defective! Thanks for the well-wishes!

    ReplyDelete