January 5, 2011

Grandest Century in The World's History, circa 1900

For a history buff and book geek, this treasure was a find! I was cleaning out a bookcase and came across this old, old leather-bound book with a threaded/woven binding. It was old! I showed it to my dad. He told me that this book I found called "Grandest Century in The World's History" was my maternal grandmother's history book. The publish date is 1900. That would make it 111 years ago! My granny gave it to my dad when she learned he was interested in the Civil War and genealogical history. This text book was published less than 40 years post-Civil War. Imagine the 'take' this book has to offer!

This is the inside cover. The photos are "famous Inventors of the Century": Thomas Edison, Robert Fulton, George Stephenson, James Watt, and S.F.B. Morse.

This page contains photos of Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, and Nathaniel Hawthorne.

This one is my favorites (so far). We know this lady as the Statue of Liberty. However, the caption under the photo reads:

BARTHOLDI STATUE OF LIBERTY
Erected on Bedloe's Island, New York Harbor. Height from ground, 220 feet; stone pedestal 82 feet high; forefinger 8 feet long; head 14 feet high and 40 persons can stand in it.

I'm looking forward to perusing this book! I know that it can 'googled' now, but there is something about holding this literal history in my hands.

1 comment: