March 22, 2010

First Day of Spring Break 2010

Usually on the first day of spring break, the kids and I are headed to Texas to spend time with the cousins and friends, or we are in the mountains snowboarding/skiing. But on this first day of spring break, my sweet girl is passed out on the sofa, snuggled in her favorite blanket. The dog laying at her feet. No, Risa is not sick. She had her wisdom teeth out this morning. She only had 3 of them (she has evolved!).

We arrived at the office at 7:45am. In the room, they hooked her up to the monitors, started the IV drip, put her on O2, had her take her lip ring out, and booted me out of the room. Last time I saw my girl this 'concerned' was several years ago when she underwent major surgery at Children's Hospital. I reassured her that this time, she will recover quicker, not to be afraid.

So, off I go, out to the waiting room with other mommy's whose kids are getting their wisdom teeth out, too. I came prepared for the wait. I had my iPod, phone, a snack, and another Sookie Stackhouse book. A little while later, I'm called by the nurse. My baby is awake now. I wish I would have taken the camera! Her beautiful face was so swollen! Eyes rolling back into her head. Body shaking from the anesthesia. Still hooked to the monitors. Nurse said to keep her awake, so I put on her favorite music...the theme song from Matilda!

Marisa recovered quickly. She took her favorite blanket in the car for the ride home. But first we had to stop at the store and load up on ice cream, jello, gauze, ibuprofen, and pain meds. When I make the jello, it had to be 'the blue kind' and I had to cut it into 1-inch squares. She wanted to watch Matilda until she fell asleep. Anything for my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment